Support Program provides free and confidential support services to East and Southeast Asians living with HIV, their partners, families, and friends.
Our program aims to improve the quality of life of people living with HIV/AIDS (PHAs). To meet the unique needs of our service users, we collaborate with other ACAS programs and related community partners to deliver holistic and culturally appropriate services.
We strive to support and empower PHAs to cope and live with HIV. This empowerment process is accomplished by enhancing PHAs’ knowledge and skills to facilitate self-care and to make positive changes to their lives.
What do we do?
1. Emotional Support
- Case Management
- Peer Counselling
- Loss, Grief and Bereavement
- Peer/Buddy Volunteer Support
2. Practical Support
- Appointment Accompaniment
- Assisting with Income Support (e.g. Ontario Works& Ontario Disability Support Program)
- Assisting with Social Housing
- Home and Hospital Visit
- Interpreting in Asian Languages
- Financial Assistance
- Referrals (e.g. health care, immigration, legal service, etc)
3. Social Support
- Clients Events & Social Gathering
- Women-specific Social Activities
- Annual PHA Retreat or Day Trip
- Peer Support Group (e.g. ALPHA group for HIV+ gay men)
4. Community Development & Health Promotion
- Peer Mentorship Program
- Peer Buddy Volunteer Program
- Treatment Information in Asian Languages (http://treatment.2016.acas.org/)
- Health Promotional Forum and Workshop
- Complementary Therapy (e.g. massage, acupuncture)
- Health Promotion Newsletter (http://acassupport.wordpress.com/)
Our services are available in English, Chinese (Mandarin & Cantonese), Tagalog, Thai, Malay, Japanese, Korean and Vietnamese.
Since 2011, the Support Program has provided over 15 health promotion workshops to the support program service users. Topics are focused on empowering persons living with HIV to enhance their holistic health, and include issues such as HIV aging and emotional wellness, and HIV and mental health. In 2013, ACAS held a Support Program Health and Wellness Retreat for 40 service users aimed at improving the overall health of the participants and building a stronger community for East an Southeast Asians living with and affected HIV/AIDS. We would like to thank the generous sponsorship of Janssen Pharmaceutical and ViiV Healthcare for making our health promotion workshops and health and wellness retreat possible.
How can you get involved?
You could get involved by becoming a support buddy for one of our clients, providing complementary therapy, or translating health & treatment information, etc. To volunteer, fill out our online volunteer intake form.
Andrew Miao, Support Program Coordinator
(416) 963 – 4300 ext. 222
Jenny S. Cheng, Women’s Support Worker
(416) 963 – 4300 ext. 223
Kenneth Poon, Health Promotion Worker